Howard Levi has a broad commercial litigation practice, with particular emphasis on complex litigation relating to banking, finance, investment banking, creditors’ rights and bankruptcy. He has tried numerous federal, state and arbitration cases; frequently argued appeals before federal and state appellate courts; and achieved noteworthy results for clients by way of settlement and judgment.
Mr. Levi’s matters have covered a wide range of disputes, including claims arising out of a placement agent agreement for a private equity fund; disputes concerning recourse notes provided by limited partners of an investment partnership; claims relating to a PIPE securities transaction; disputes in bankruptcy regarding the priority to be accorded to a lien; claims arising out of margin calls to a municipal bond hedge fund; disputes relating to asserted intellectual property rights regarding a mutual fund; as well as many other claims involving breach of contract, mortgage foreclosure and fraud.
Because of Mr. Levi’s record of achievement, he represents several Fortune 500 companies, including two of them for close to three decades.
Results that Mr. Levi has achieved in his litigation career include:
- Represented an investment bank in a three-week jury trial to recover advisory fees owing by a private equity fund, resulting in a verdict in the investment bank’s favor.
- Represented a bank in a four-week jury trial concerning the bank’s commercially reasonable disposition of a borrower’s collateral, resulting in a verdict in the bank’s favor.
- Represented a litigation trust created under a bankruptcy plan in an action against former officers and directors of the debtor, and in a suit to recover a fraudulent transfer, resulting in millions of dollars of recoveries for the creditors.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement in an action by a bank asserting a fraud claim against another financial institution arising out of losses incurred in connection with a fraud perpetrated by a borrower.
- Defended a broker-dealer against arbitration claims by an institutional customer alleging $25 million of damages as a result of the unsuitability of derivatives products, resulting in an award for the broker-dealer at the close of the claimant’s case.
- Obtained a major recovery through settlement in a suit by a bank group seeking to recover against the guarantor of a bankrupt debtor’s obligations.
Mr. Levi was named a “Super Lawyer” in the area of Business Litigation, in the New York Metro 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions of Super Lawyers.